Daily Topic for January 11, 2014

Genesis 6:5
The Lord saw how great man's wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time.

It is hard to imagine what life must have been like before the flood. By the time of Noah, only one righteous family remained in the whole earth. However, Jesus warned us that in the days before his coming, life would be similar to this period. Without the light, whole societies and peoples can become progressively corrupted. Indeed, although it seems that the Christian faith is in competition with the world’s religions, these moral traditions have in fact served to stem the tide of social depravity as unredeemed peoples wait for a complete revelation of God’s righteousness in Christ.


Pray for an all-out effort within the Church to bring the light of the gospel to the Tigrean peoples.

Tigrean People

by WK

Isak and Hamid, two young Tigrean men, sat on stone benches looking inside of a Coptic church. A white-robed priest chanted, often pointing to a picture of Jesus and Mary. Hamid nudged Isak. Softly he asked, “What is he saying?” His friend answered, “I don’t know because he’s speaking Geez.” Most Tigreans don’t speak Geez. After service, Isak and Hamid walked away. Hamid spoke. “This is just like going to the mosque. The imam chants in Arabic, and most of us don’t understand a word of what he says.”

The Tigreans are one of several people groups in the Horn of Africa that emerged from the ancient Axum people. There had once been many followers of Christ among the Axum. The Axum people no longer exist. Geez was one of the languages that developed from the Axum language.

Today most Christian worship among the Tigreans is conducted in Geez. Today 80 percent of all Tigreans claim to be Christian, but they have no true knowledge of Christ. The other 20 percent are Muslim. For all practical purposes these people are unreached.

Learn more at joshuaproject.net

Pray that a mission agency would create a modern written script for the Tigrean languages, and provide them with readable Bible translations. Sickness is common among the Tigreans, so pray for faithful workers to become medical missionaries to this people group. Pray for the creation of a body of Jesus worshippers among Tigrean immigrants living in the United States.


click here to access previous and next days.