Daily Topic for January 26, 2011

Psalm 139:1- 2, New Century Version
Lord, You have examined me and know all about me. You know when I sit down and when I get up. You know my thoughts before I think them.

There are many nations on the earth like the Rungas who are not known by the rest of humanity. Such people seem to be mysterious to the rest of us. But they are not mysterious to God, the One who created them! He knows that like the rest of humanity, they are sinful at birth (Psalm 51), yet He loves them intensely.


Pray that the intense love of the Lord will soon reach the Runga people.

Runga People

by JR

Lord, You have examined me and know all about me. You know when I sit down and when I get up. You know my thoughts before I think them.—Psalm 139:1-2, New Century Version
In many ways, the Runga are a mystery people. They have inhabited the southern area of Chad for centuries. There is very little known about them as a distinct people. They began as an agricultural group living along the headwaters of the Niger River. They live a primarily rural lifestyle, with very few of their number living in cities.

Farming serves as their dominant occupation with production of millet and wheat being most important. They also regularly harvest onions, garlic and melons. Runga people raise livestock such as horses, cattle, goats, and sheep. Both women and men work in the fields, but the heavier work, such as land clearing, is exclusively done by the men. The women milk the animals, brew a millet beer and care for the children.

Islam has been a way of life for the Runga people since the 17th century. About 80 per cent of the Rungas are committed followers of Allah, with the other 20 per cent committed to animism. There is no known outreach being done among the Rungas.

Learn more at joshuaproject.net

Pray that God’s people will be moved to reach out to the Runga.


click here to access previous and next days.